May 2018 | By Google Arts & Culture
Discover Bagan's incredible temples in 3D and VR
Our diverse, shared global heritage is at risk.
Explore how technology is used to document and preserve an ancient site devastated by earthquakes.
In collaboration with CyArk, Bagan - Embracing the Future to Preserve the Past was created with 3D scanning, photogrammetry, and 360 video. You can you travel through the landscape and inside decorated temples at risk of collapse while learning the ancient stories they tell. This is accessible on desktop, mobile, and WebVR.
This Lab Experiment offers an experimental WebVR feature available using Google Chrome and the HTC Vive. To use enjoy this feature, follow these short steps:
1. Confirm SteamVR and the HTC Vive are on and functioning correctly
2. Open Chrome and enter "chrome://flags" into browser
3. Enable the following flags:
- WebXR Device API
- WebXR orientation sensor device features
- Gamepad Extensions
4. Re-launch Chrome and open the Lab Experiment
Once these steps are completed, you'll be able explore the temples of Bagan by pressing the Enable WebVR button when it appears inside the temples.